Look I have to be honest – I’ve not been very excited by the hair and makeup trends coming down the runways during this last season – and since the shows are now in their final week in Paris, there aren’t that many chances for my socks to be rocked off by some amazing inspiring new looks. It’s all a bit ‘Meh’ so far. The notable exceptions for me have been:
- the punk eye at Versace (thanks Pat McGrath)
- the 40’s sepia eye at Rochas (Lucia Pieroni referencing Lee Miller, be still my beating heart)
- Gucci Westman’s work at ODLR and Antonio Berardi – that lush red mouth, yes please!
- Diane Kendal made last season’s navy eye feel even fresher thanks to glitter and super bright pigment at Thakoon and Jason Wu, respectively.
- Dolce and Gabbana’s show, with makeup by Pat McGrath that was inspired by Sophia Loren and Byzantine art. This translated as rich wine lips, a heavy flick of cat eyeliner and beautiful, matte skin – which I think is the main takeaway from the shows. Ladies, get your powder puffs ready – it’s going to be a matte-tastic year.
Here’s Pat McGrath in action at the Dolce show, talking through the look: