I’m currently obsessing over orange. Lipstick, to be precise, although I am partial to a good orange eyeshadow (or blush for that matter) on occasion too.
Flicking through the new Paris Vogue I saw this gorgeous image from a beauty shoot with Diane Kendal (who I love, love, love) and shot by David Sims. Dripping with gloss, as orange as a tangerine or a Mexican sunset it’s sexy, 70’s and like a modern spin on Guy Bourdin – another hot reference point this season.
So I’ve been beefing up my orange selection of shades in my kit in hopes of busting out a few titian tones on shoots early in the New Year (bring that on, is all I can say).
- MAC Morange – ah, such an old faithful. If I could only carry one orange, it would be this one.
- Illamasqua Flare – Lighter than Morange, but still a neon bright burst of citrusy goodness
- MAC Vegas Volt – I love the off-ness of this colour and have used it on an early 60’s inspired Marilyn Monroe shoot for its sick Technicolour properties.
- Revlon Carnival Super Lustrous Lipstick - Quoted as “Neon orange bitch lips” in the press (which if that isn’t a name to make you run out and purchase, I don’t know what is), this is the lip that Gucci Westman created for the Rag and Bone Spring/Summer 2014 runway show. Mix Mischevious Matte Balm, which will be out in January, and the yet to be released Carnival and you’ll be good to go do what Neon Bitches do.
- MAC Orange Lip Mix - A classic, opaque orange.
- Chanel Excentrique Rouge Allure – all the gorgeousness you expect from a Chanel lipstick, with a bright tangerine hue which is gorgeous with a tan.
- Tom Ford Wild Ginger – hot orange, like only Tom Ford could do. Also an honorary mention to Tom Ford True Coral which is another bonkers salmon pink that I adore. Think Norma Desmond on acid and you’re halfway there.
- Laura Mercier Tunisian Moon – this is another subversive orange. Grace Kelly would have loved this.
- NARS Heat Wave – an intense orange-red. Also new NARS Short Circuit Cinematic lipstick from the Limited Edition Guy Bourdin collection also bears checking out. It’s described as Fire Coral – ‘Nuff said!
And to get you even MORE in the mood for some disco under the mistletoe, here’s the BTS ad campaign for the extremely gorgeous NARS Guy Bourdin collection for Holiday with the lovely Toni Garn showing us how to do lips and eyes right. (The redoubtable Diane Kendal is weaving her makeup magic on this video as well – let’s just say it’s a Diane Kendal kind of day.)
Since nothing says Christmas like glossy orange lips (well at MM HQ, anyway),I’d like to say Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to all my lovely readers. I’m so ready for 2014 I can’t tell you! (2013, don’t let the door hit you on the ass on the way out).
So whether you ring in this New Year with golden eyes, luxe lashes, cat eyeliner or the most fluoro of orange lips, have a fantastic break and I look forward to seeing you all in the New Year. Ring-a-ding-ding!