I’m trying to escape the Trump inauguration today, and as I have the day off I thought let’s dive into some NARS, shall we?
I have covered the NARS Velvet Matte Pencils on MM before, but I’m slightly obsessed with all the NARS lip products at the moment and have just got back into their lip range in a big way. The Audacious lipsticks are amazing, and I’ve added a few of the Satin Lip Pencils to my kit recently – because let’s face it, you can never have enough chubby lip crayons in your kit, can you?
I use one of these on nearly every job, whether it’s editorial or the red carpet. I used them as a base colour for one of my recent red carpet clients, and they’re so perfect because the pigment holds true and you know it’s going to last (so important for longevity on the red carpet). Plus they aren’t drying, which with the snap-frozen temperatures in London at present is really key. Strong colour on flaky dry lips is seriously the worst!
They give a great base for other lip colours or can be used on their own. I use the natural shades that look like ‘your lips but better’ on natural beauty shoots with a bit of lip balm for the perfect wisp of nothing colour. At the other end of the colour spectrum I recently used the amazing red Dragon Girl on a shoot and it was so good. I’d forgotten how easy the NARS pencils make a great red lip.
It’s just so bloody easy to draw a great lip with a fat crayon! Quick colour pay off that goes on fast. Top tip – if you want to neaten up the edges of your lip more precisely than the crayon will allow, use a lip brush and run over the tip of the pencil with it, allowing you to then go into the lip and make any small corrections needed.
My favourite colours that I think should be in everyone’s kit are:
- NARS Velvet Matte Pencil in Dragon Girl (Vivid bright red)
- NARS Velvet Matte Pencil in Bahama (a deeper version of your natural lip colour)
- NARS Velvet Matte Pencil in Belle du Jour (best nude ever and worth buying just for its name)
- NARS Velvet Matte Pencil in Bolero (Pink grapefruit – lovely for sweet girly lips)
- NARS Velvet Matte Pencil in Damned (Rich wine – also lovely as a stain)
- NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Yu – Bright vivid pink (because sometimes you want to go pink)
- NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Hyde Park – (lovely deep red, also looks great as a stain)
- NARS Satin Lip Pencil in Timanfaya – bright orange (this is a weird editorial orange colour, but I actually love weird editorial colours. So wrong it’s right!)
As an added bonus they are super lightweight for your kit, so you can carry lots of them. For every day life, just having one handy at the bottom of your handbag means you will never need to be caught bare-lipped again.
Top picture: Photo by Jenni Hare, styling by Emma Cotterill. Makeup by Christabel Draffin – using NARS Velvet Matte Pencil in Bahama.